Saturday, October 29, 2011

Remain Shocked


As the US prepares to withdraw all troops from Iraq, and NATO's no-fly zone over a newly free Libya is brought to an end, let us not forget that the long war still rages in Afghanistan.

The attacker detonated explosives in a Toyota vehicle at 11:20am local time in the southwest of the city just as a military bus carrying US soldiers was passing by, becoming the deadliest attack against foreign troops in Kabul for many years.

I feel a sense of duty to remain shocked by each new bombing; it's the least I can do for each new batch of victims. Perhaps almost as tragic as the violence itself is the familiarity of it. For years now, when I read about yet another suicide bombing, I feel sad for those killed and maimed, but then I am further saddened when I realize I am not surprised. Each act of violence, each dead and injured person, deserves our grief, sadness, and reflection. Let us remain shocked.

(Photo: "Foreign and Afghan forces arrived at the site of a suicide attack in Kabul on Saturday." Massoud Hossaini/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images)

No comments: